Caldo Verde Soup
You can get this full-meal soup on the table in half an hour, including cooking time!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. Washington Yukon Gold or white potatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel. Cut into ½-inch cubes. Set aside 1 cup of the potatoes to add later. Place remaining potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover. Over high heat, bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Add broth and mash until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add onion, garlic and kielbasa. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the potato/broth mixture and the remaining 1 cup diced potatoes. Heat to boiling, and then reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, cover and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 276 calories, 15 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat (30% of calories from fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 685 mg sodium.