Beef Stew with Red Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ lbs. beef top round, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 ribs celery, cut into ¾ -inch thick slices
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into ¾-inch thick slices
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 1 (8 oz.) package sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb. Washington small red potatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In an 8 qt. sauce pan or pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 ½ teaspoons of the oil. Add half the beef and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Heat another 1 ½ teaspoons oil and brown remaining beef cubes. Add to already browned beef. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and stir in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, parsnip, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Cut each into 8 pieces. Add potatoes, beef and any accumulated juices, broth, wine and tomato paste to the pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour 35 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 310 calories, 30 g protein, 26 grams carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat (25% of calories from fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 528 mg sodium.