Caramelized Onion Smashed Potatoes
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 lbs. Washington Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- ¾ to 1 cup cream, heated
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel potatoes and cut into chunks (about 3 inches).
- Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely. Heat to boiling, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut onion into thin strips. In large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add onions and garlic.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and turn into large mixing bowl.
- Put through a food mill, or ricer, or mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- With wooden spoon, mix in caramelized onions, butter, ¾ cup of the cream, garlic and salt. Add the additional ¼ cup cream if necessary. Serve hot.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 196 calories, 4 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (45% of calories from fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 550 mg sodium.