Asian Brandade Cod Cakes
Makes 6 Servings
- 10 ounces fresh cod
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole coriander Milk
- 1 pound Washington Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups potato flour, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 /2 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Garlic from cod marinade
- 1 1/2 cups Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for frying
Spicy Sesame Mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Salt and Pepper
In 8-inch or 9- inch pan, place cod, salt, ginger, curry powder, garlic and bay leaf. Crush peppercorns and coriander in mortar and pestle or with side of knife. Add to cod. Pour over enough milk to completely cover cod. Cover bowl or pan and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel potatoes and cut into 3-inch chunks. Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely. Heat to boiling, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until very tender, about 15 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking, lift cod from marinade and set aside. Pour marinade into medium saucepan and heat just to simmer – do not boil. Add cod and poach until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully lift cod and garlic cloves out of marinade. Flake cod with fingers or fork. Mash garlic.
Drain potatoes well, then turn into large bowl and mash. Blend in cod flakes, garlic, scallions, 1 of the eggs and 2 tablespoons of the potato flour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Portion patties, about 1/2 cup each, and flatten to about 1 inch thick.
Beat the remaining eggs. Bread patties by dipping first into potato flour, then egg, then Panko.
In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/2 inch of olive oil. Cook patties in small batches until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, turn and brown on second side.
Spicy Sesame Mayo:
Combine all ingredients.