Green Potato Mash for St Patrick’s Day
Looking for a little splash of color for St Patrick’s Day potatoes? These chive and parsley mashed potatoes will do just the trick. Start with some beautiful Washington Yukon Gold potatoes and you are on your way.
FOR CHIVE AND PARSLEY OIL
- 1 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR MASHED POTATOES
- 5 lb yellow-fleshed potatoes such as Yukon Gold
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Purée chives and parsley with oil and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour herb oil through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass measure, pressing on and discarding solids.
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Cover potatoes with water by 1 inch in a 5-quart heavy pot, then simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 25 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, bring milk, butter, salt, and pepper just to a simmer, stirring until butter is melted.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pot. Add hot milk mixture and mash with a potato masher until almost smooth, then stir in 4 tablespoons herb oil.
- If desired, serve potatoes drizzled with some of remaining oil.
RECIPE AND FOOD STYLING BY LORI W. POWELL from gourmet.com
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST